In Memory

Horace (Eddie) Biggers

Horace (Eddie) Biggers

Horace Edwin Biggers
February 24, 1961 - March 5, 2013

Horace Edwin Biggers, 52, of Longview, formerly of Lake Jackson, passed away Tuesday, March 5, 2013. He graduated from Brazoswood High School with honors and obtained a B.S. degree from Texas A&M. Eddie was a member of the Baptist Church.

He is survived by his parents John Alex and Esther Marjorie Biggers, 1 brother John Biggers, Jr. of Clear Lake,

2 sisters: Barbare Jean Krenek and husband Ron of Bahrain,

Deborah Ann Smith and husband David L. Smith of Lake Jackson.

The family will receive friends 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Monday at Lakewood Funeral Chapel. Funeral services will be 10 am Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at Lakewood Funeral Chapel with Dr. David L. Smith officiating.

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

03/10/13 12:05 PM #1    

Chris Waples

I knew Eddie from elementary school. When we were at LJ Intermediate, he and I had projects in the Houston science fair. His project was a model of continental drift using an aquarium with an extremely viscous red liquid as the mantel and a heating element at the bottom. The two simulated tectonic plates on top of the liquid would separate as the convective forces from the heating element caused the mantel to rise. It was an amazing simulation and fun to watch.  I was already on the bus with my project and watching Eddie as he came out of the building with his aquarium on a wheeled cart.  Eddie always had a smile on his face, but this day his smile was ear to ear in anticipation of winning the fair. As he came toward the bus door the cart hit an uneven section of concrete and the cart abruptly stopped moving. At this point Newton’s third law took over and the aquarium continued forward off the cart. Eddie made a valiant attempt to catch it, but could only watch as the aquarium shattered against the concrete and the red gunk (about 5 times thicker than honey) oozed its way across the loading zone. The face that had been beaming a moment before quickly changed to a look of astonishment and defeat. Eddie had to stand in front of his project board for two days explaining why he had nothing to display. My heart broke when that happened, but by the end of the day, Eddie was smiling again and taking the misfortune in stride.

The other thing I will always remember about Eddie are his black leather shoes. I think he even wore them in PE. I tried for years to get in touch with him and get him to attend a reunion. I wish we could have seen him one more time. Let us all redouble our efforts to get in touch with our missing classmates before our 35th reunion.

RIP my friend!


03/25/13 06:41 PM #2    

Marlyne Gutierrez


Thank you for sharing this with us.

go to top 
  Post Comment